A letter from Kevin Hancock on Hancock Lumber’s response to coronavirus (COVID-19)
March 16th, 2020:
To: All Hancock Lumber Customers
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As trying as these times have suddenly
become, I have personally found it very uplifting to see and hear all the
stories about our employee, supplier, and customer teams coming together to
make today safe, healthy, and productive.
I am hopeful that our company management philosophy of shared leadership
will benefit us all in the weeks ahead. It
takes everyone’s commitment to maintain maximum workplace health during these
As you would expect, Hancock Lumber is monitoring coronavirus (COVID-19) very closely. Our executive team is huddling every other day to update our plans based on current conditions. Those plans are centered around three priorities:
- Priority #1 is the health of our employees, customers, vendors, and communities.
- Priority #2 is keeping as much normalcy as possible in our daily work routines and to supply you, our customers, with all the information and products that you need to function optimally.
- Priority #3 is to monitor the actual situation and remain agile.
Because our business is so deeply
intertwined with yours, it’s going to take all of us collaborating and
communicating to maintain the safest and healthiest work conditions
possible. Our four guiding principles
for a healthy workplace are:
- Common sense and individual responsibility.
- If you feel sick, stay home and contact your doctor.
- If you are feeling extra anxious, feel safe to share your thoughts. Your company and co-workers will support you.
- If you have a suggestion or a concern, share it.
- Personal hygiene.
- Wash, wash, wash, then wash again!
- Workstation cleanliness.
- Our workspaces include facilities, trucks, offices, our customer’s offices, and client’s homes. Each Hancock location team has set a plan in motion designed to enhance cleaning efforts in terms of attention to detail and frequency.
- Maximize social distancing. Please consider leveraging one of the following order placement tools before going to the store in-person:
- Phone (click here for a list of our location numbers) or contact your AM or Inside Sales Support directly
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your AM or Inside Sales Support directly
- Website contact form: https://www.hancocklumber.com/shop-now/quote/
- Text, FaceTime, or Video Conference with your Account Manager or Inside Sales Support
I was in our Casco sawmill today and I was
impressed with how easily everyone had adjusted to maximizing personal spacing
while working. On that note, I was at
Walgreens around lunchtime today. The
woman at the counter told me that she had driven by our mill this morning on
her way to work and that just seeing all the cars and trucks at the Hancock
Lumber sawmill gave her a big boost of confidence.
In the end, we all share the same
priorities with respect to COVID-19. We
want to maximize our prospects for collective good health and within that keep
our shared economic engine running as normally as possible. Our employee teams are highly committed to
doing everything we can to keep business running smoothly. Builders, we want to
keep you building. Our vendor supply
partners are committed as well. Our
three sawmills are up and running, ready to meet customers’ needs. The fact that we have 14 locations as a
company gives us a lot of flexibility to adjust to local circumstancesk, yet
keep everyone fully supplied.
Please speak directly to your Hancock
Lumber account manager, general manager, or store personnel with any questions,
comments, or suggestions. You can also contact me, or any of us, at our Home
To end on a personal note, I’m inspired
by the people in this industry and I am confident that we can work through the
days ahead by taking it one day at a time, communicating openly, and sharing
responsibility for leadership!
Kevin Hancock | Chairman + CEO
As of March 16th, 2020, this is Hancock Lumber’s coronavirus (COVID-19) response plan. For the most up to date information, please always check with your local Hancock Lumber location, as this is an unprecedented, fast-moving landscape. Please continue to stay informed through verified sources via the CDC and/or World Health Organization. Thank you!